Sunday, January 13, 2008

Patience

The last thing I want to do is wait for something that I know goddamn well isn't coming to me.

It just isn't all that appealing to me. And trying to convince me otherwise with that age-old say, "Patience is a virtue", sorry but that just won't fly today. Or ever, so save your precious energy and breath for something else...like staying alive. Or save it for someone else.

You see I do not even like punctuation I think we should do away with periods commas semicolons exclamation AND question marks I do not see their purpose when sentences have somewhere to get like people do there is no sense in putting a speed bumb in the way of drivers on the fast track of life so grab a tissue and wipe your tears because I am burying punctuation in the same grace as my patience

...wait, what am I saying? Every day I wait for that same letter to come in the mail that's going to change my life. Everyday I check my email hoping for a job response from sending out all those resumes. Every day that finds me walking or skating I hope to find a $20 bill in the street. Every day I am hoping that you meet me. Every day, for 21 years...7,665 days...183,690 hours...11,037,600 minutes...662,256,000 seconds!

I waited. Shit, now THAT is patience.

Mandela waited ten unrightfully imprisoned years for the freedom he and his people deserved. "The Unknown Rebel of Tiananmen" forced mountains to halt at his disregard for injustice. Jesus is still waiting for us to follow Spike Lee's advice and, "Do The Right Thing".

Hope, I am often told, is a beautiful thing.

And I'll pay for hope so that I can enjoy patience now. Just make sure I get that super-large package of patience...you know, the kind they sell at sam's club. Waiting for someone like you might take a lifetime...or maybe a few drinks but hey, I'm stocked up on patience. Just let me know when you're done pulling the strings of my hope.

Because patience is a virtue, and hope ain't free. And I'll wait another 21 years for you to meet me.

No comments: