Sunday, May 6, 2007

Thoughts on words

I've been thinking about words that have a ring to them. Words that , when said, immediately spurn thoughts in your head. Whether it be a song, a book read, a movie seen, a conversation had, a picture glanced at, a situation execrated. I've been thinking about words and their application to everday life, how simple and easily they can put into perspective the events of each day. Two words in specific that I think say more in what they reveal than in their actual weight are "irony" and "vindication".

I have tried dealing with a life situation that has been ironic, but has also seen me hoping for vindication.

I looked up the word "irony", and came up with this: a state of affairs or event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and can be amusing as a result. The word "vindication" supplies this definition: clear (someone) of blame or suspicion.

What seems to be something very simple can tend to be a bit more complicated. And this whole train of thought was spurned by someone who has basically pained me for the past 2 weeks through a third party. The shameful part of it all? I almost forgot who I was. I almost allowed the entire situation to take me out of my zone, my norm, and for that to have happened is really out of my character. I'm pretty set in my ways, but there are things as I age that may possibly change for the better.

I guess this world never ceases to amaze me, and I should've remembered that from the get go. But hell, this has been an entertaining thing to write about. Let me know what words you think about.

No comments: